There many ways in which we can make small changes to help do our part in protecting our environment, things we can do at work, at home, and in our community.
Some of the small changes we can make at home to help our home become more sustainable, efficient, and affordable are:
- Switch your lightbulbs to LED bulbs, these will last longer and have become much more affordable
- Install a smart thermostat, they have temperature control and can even be controlled with a smart phone, so if you are at work and realize you forgot to turn the heat down, you now will able to.
- When upgrading appliances purchase energy star ones, they are more efficient
- Instead of putting your clothes in the dryer hang them outside to dry
- Make sure you have energy efficient window installed so no cold air gets in
- Wash dishes by hand when you can and only run your dishwasher when it is full.
- Take shorter showers
- Do not leave water running while brushing your teeth
The City of Toronto offers a home loan program to help with some of the financing when you make some of these energy saving improvements to your home, visit their site for more information.
Lower income home owners can possibly quality for the Home Assistance Program where you may be able to receive free energy-efficient upgrades.